TORONTO, April 19, 2021 – York University has received the designation of being one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the ninth consecutive time, a testament to its dedication to sustainability through action, research, education and partnerships.
Selected by Mediacorp Canada Inc., the 2021 Canada’s Greenest Employers title recognizes organizations who make strides to reduce their ecological footprint, a commitment York has long been a leader in and holds as one of its core values.
“Being selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the ninth consecutive year is both a celebration of the accomplishments that have been made, and a source of inspiration to continue forging towards making things right for our communities, our planet and our future,” said Carol McAulay, vice-president finance and administration. “In a time of global uncertainty, institutions are being challenged to reaffirm their commitment to sustainability. York is proud of its continued dedication and leadership in this space and will continue to do its part through collaboration, engagement and innovation, with opportunities to make an impact in our local and global communities.”
The title of Canada’s Greenest Employers is awarded to national organizations in recognition of exceptional sustainability initiatives, work and commitment toward meeting sustainability goals, and the development of a culture of environmental awareness.
The editors of Canada's Top 100 Employers select which organizations will be named Canada’s Greenest Employers every year based on the development of unique environmental initiatives and programs, their success rate in reducing the organization's own environmental footprint and in engaging employees in these environmental efforts. They also look at how closely the institution’s public identity is linked to these sustainable initiatives, and their ability to attract new employees and clients as a result.
Additional York sustainability highlights:
- The University’s Academic Plan (2020 to 2025) is a University wide challenge to contribute to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals in everything the University does. This is just one example of how York upholds sustainability, both environmental and societal, as a compass for its decisions. York will continue to do its part to address the growing environmental crisis through collaboration, engagement, leadership and innovation.
- As a leader in sustainability, York is committed to reducing its carbon emissions by 45 per cent by 2030 and to becoming carbon neutral on or before 2049. This University-wide challenge will create positive change, locally and globally, for our students, the communities we serve, and the world around us.
- The new Rob and Cheryl McEwen Graduate Study & Research Building, part of the Schulich School of Business, received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification – one of the highest standards of sustainability for a building. To attain LEED gold, a building must be designed to meet several sustainability criteria, including water efficiency, the reduction of CO2 emissions, and indoor environmental quality.
- As a testament to York University’s commitment to sustainability, it is ranked 33rd in the world for the Times Higher Education 2020 Impact Rankings. These global rankings look at how well 768 universities from 85 countries are accomplishing the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- York’s new brand strategy incorporates a commitment to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals by tackling some of the world’s most pressing issues, such as inequality, racism and climate change.
Read more about York’s commitment to sustainability: http://sustainability.info.yorku.ca/
York University is a modern, multi-campus, urban university located in Toronto, Ontario. Backed by a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, alumni and partners, we bring a uniquely global perspective to help solve societal challenges, drive positive change and prepare our students for success. York's fully bilingual Glendon Campus is home to Southern Ontario's Centre of Excellence for French Language and Bilingual Postsecondary Education. York’s campuses in Costa Rica and India offer students exceptional transnational learning opportunities and innovative programs. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet, and our future.
Sandra McLean, York University Media Relations, 416-272-6317, firstname.lastname@example.org