TORONTO, December 21, 2016 - From groundbreaking research announcements to progressive new campuses, York University is on a positive trajectory and making a significant impact locally and globally. The past year produced more than its share of memorable moments—including landmark investments in research, pioneering technology and recognition of York University’s programs on a world stage.
Here’s a look back at 10 of the top stories and posts from 2016:
- The Government of Canada made a $33.3 million investment in York University with a prestigious Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF) grant in York’s world-leading “Vision: Science to Applications(VISTA) program”.
- The Economist ranked the MBA program at York University’s Schulich School of Business No. 1 in Canada, for the 14th straight year. Learn more.
- Celebrating 50 years, York's Glendon College is Canada’s only bilingual liberal arts college. Learn more.
- York University’s Faculty of Environmental Studies opened the Lillian Meighen Wright Centre and EcoCampus this spring, deep within a rainforest in Costa Rica. The EcoCampus offers students hands-on learning opportunities. Learn more.
- Lilly Singh, 28, (BA ’10) was named one of Forbes Top 30 under 30 for 2016 and has attracted more than ten million subscribers to her YouTube channel, becoming a household name – all in just four years. Learn more.
- With a $2.5 million gift from Cinespace Film Studios and the Mirkopoulos family, York University created the state-of-the-art AMPD Motion Media Studio @ Cinespace, for teaching, learning and creation. Learn more.
- York University is lead Canadian university on the recently launched OSIRIS-REx space mission. OSIRIS-REx will travel to the asteroid Bennu, take a sample, and bring it back to Earth. Learn more.
- York researchers discovered a ground-breaking technique to quickly detect E. coli in water. Learn more.
- York’s architecturally award-winning Bergeron Centre at the Lassonde School of Engineering fosters creativity and a hands-on approach. Learn more.
- York was ranked fifth in Canada as a leader in preparing graduates for the workplace, according to Times Higher Education. Learn more.
York University is known for championing new ways of thinking that drive teaching and research excellence. Our students receive the education they need to create big ideas that make an impact on the world. Meaningful and sometimes unexpected careers result from cross-discipline programming, innovative course design and diverse experiential learning opportunities. York students and graduates push limits, achieve goals and find solutions to the world’s most pressing social challenges, empowered by a strong community that opens minds. York U is an internationally recognized research university – our 11 faculties and 26 research centres have partnerships with 200+ leading universities worldwide. Located in Toronto, York is the third largest university in Canada, with a strong community of 53,000 students, 7,000 faculty and administrative staff, and more than 295,000 alumni. York U's fully bilingual Glendon campus is home to Southern Ontario's Centre of Excellence for French Language and Bilingual Postsecondary Education.
Media contact: Anjum Nayyar, firstname.lastname@example.org/416.736.2100 ext. 44543